We are excited to announce some recent changes to The Anthony Barr Foundation! We are now officially called Raise The Barr - powered by A.B.F - and we are working under Driving Force Group, a philanthropic advisor who provides consultation and fiscal sponsorship. Our original mission and vision remains the same and we are steadfast in our commitment to support single mother's in their pursuit of higher education
THE STARK REALITY FOR SINGLE MOTHERS AND THEIR CHILDREN...
- Of the 12 million single-parent families in the United States, more than 80% are headed by women
- 40% of single-mother-headed households fall below the poverty line
- According to the Institute for Women’s Policy Research (2104) there are over 3 million student mothers enrolled in post secondary institutions who face significant demands, of the most stressful are financial challenges.
- Student parents are more likely than their counterparts without children to have low-incomes.
- Poverty rate for families headed by single mothers with a college degree is 16%
- Average cost in 2015 for in-state tuition and fees $9, 410 (collegedata.com)
- Average cost in 2015 for day care center for one child $752 (care.com)
Raise the bar- a 501c3 public charity was founded to provide financial support to single mothers’ wishing to further their education.
Our goal is to create a society where single mothers can pursue higher education, likely changing the trajectory of their lives and the lives of their children.
Raise the Barr - Powered by A.B.F.- was inspired by Anthony’s life experiences with his mother. As a nineteen-year-old college student, Anthony’s mother, Lori, found herself pregnant, without the means to support her young son. When Anthony was only a year and a half old, his mother resumed college, financing her education by working two part-time jobs and taking out student loans. As Anthony grew, he watched his mother continue to pursue her education, earning a Master’s degree and begin work towards her doctorate. In observing this, Anthony learned the importance of education and the impact it had on the lives of his mother, younger brother, and himself.
Raise the Barr - Powered by A.B.F. - officially launched on June 4, 2016. Held at the beautiful Salt Creek Grille in El Segundo, California, over 150 guests were in attendance to share in this special and exciting new venture for Anthony Barr and his family. The mission of Raise the Barr is to provide financial support to single mothers who wish to pursue higher education. Guests enjoyed a variety of small plates chosen by Anthony, while hearing from long time friends, coaches, Anthony’s mom, Lori, and Anthony himself, regarding the “WHY?” for the start of a public charity. Anthony shared stories about his youth and the support he received from his grandparents and extended family, while his mother put herself through undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Anthony emphasized the importance of opportunity and how his mother’s sacrifices for her children created that opportunity, which ultimately led to his success as a student and as an athlete. Over $50,000 was raised through the generosity of guests and friends, along with a substantial contribution from Anthony himself. Overall, the evening was a huge success, with a hope to build momentum as Raise the Barr- Powered by A.B.F. continues to grow and serve single moms across the country!